SmarterProctoring is an advanced solution for online test security, remote, automated & live test proctoring, and for scheduling face-to-face proctoring. Depending on the options your instructor chooses, you may be able to take a test using automated proctoring (at no fee), schedule a face-to-face proctoring session with your instructor or TAs (at no fee), schedule a live, online proctoring session (for a fee), or with a campus testing center or other authorized proctors (usually for a fee).
Some assessments in your online course might require the use of the SmarterProctoring Platform. SmarterProctoring is a remote proctoring system that uses advanced machine learning and facial detection technology to ensure test integrity.
The program is optimized to protect your security and privacy while providing a proctored environment to replace classroom testing.
What will I need to use SmarterProctoring?
- A Windows, Mac, or Chromebook computer (no phones, iPads, or Android tablets) running Google Chrome with the SmarterProctoring extension installed. See: System Requirements for more detail.
How do I start an exam with SmarterProctoring?
- In Canvas, click on the SmarterProctoring tab in your class' Course Navigation Menu.
- You will need to allow yourself a couple of minutes to go through the startup or onboarding process before your exam.
- You may be required to show your ID and to do a room scan.
- A detailed walkthrough of starting a SmarterProctoring test is available. This video shows you what a proper room scan should look like.
What should I do if I have trouble getting started or while taking a test?
- Common trouble areas are microphone access on Windows, camera and microphone access on Macs, and screen recording permissions on Macs. The links provided show you how to fix these with simple changes to settings.
- At any time during a test, you may click the Chat button to reach SmarterProctoring help.
- If you are unable to complete the test, please contact your instructor immediately.