Note: If you are already using AutoAccess in your class, you do not need this resource. It is not intended to replace any course content already in use!
VitalSource is making a large collection of eTextbooks available at no cost for students at colleges and universities that are holding all classes remotely until May 25. Information and video tutorials on these resources are available. This is intended to supplement the textbook material you already are using. It is not recommended to shift texts or course materials mid-semester.
This is a service offered by UM Stores in conjunction with VitalSource to supplement the transition to online learning this semester.
If you wish to put in a link to VitalSource’s site, do so with the External URL tool in a module, not the VitalSource Bookshelf External Tool. This is completely separate from any VitalSource books deployed in Canvas courses through AutoAccess.
There are a few caveats that we are providing to students:
- While this is a large collection, it may not include the specific book or edition you require.
- These are ebooks only, no courseware (such as Pearson MyLabs or Macmillan Launchpad) is included.
- You will need to use your campus email address. If you already have a VitalSource account through Canvas, we recommend you type the email address exactly as you have it in Canvas. (That is to say, if you normally use an alias, but do not in Canvas, type it the way it appears in Canvas, unless you have already changed it in VitalSource.)
- Be careful when making your selections. There is a limit of seven books per student. If you make a mistake when choosing a book, there is no way to undo it, and it will count against the limit.
- Off-line readers are available for iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Mac, PC (Windows), and Chromebook.